Friday, December 5, 2008

Why Beauty Matters...

(from francescamusic.com)

11.07.08

It's funny sometimes, the things that speak to our hearts. Al Andrews calls them "windows to the soul." You might laugh when you hear what
my most recent "window" was. First, some backstory. My first day off after being on the road for a while is always a day of rest for me. It's my Sabbath, if you will. Sometimes I spend it sleeping in, or reading my Bible, journaling, shopping, cooking, sometimes even doing laundry! I know, you call that rest? Yes, I love it. Every once in a while, I'll stick on TLC. I admit it. I was never one who watched makeover shows, but for some reason when it comes to "What Not To Wear," I just can't resist. Something about the way these women transform into confident beauties captivates me every time.

I was thinking about it on my last day off, after watching an episode about a girl, just 25, who didn't believe she was beautiful. She was stunning! I couldn't believe how poorly she looked at herself. What lie was told to her when she was young that kept her from seeing her true self? It got me thinking. We all know that beauty comes from within. Just read Proverbs 31:30, and you'll know what I'm talking about: "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Or 1 Peter 3:3-4: "Let not yours be the merely external adorning of the hair, the wearing of jewelry, or changes of clothes, but let it be the inward adorning and beauty of the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible and unfading
charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, which is not anxious or wrought up, but is very precious in the sight of God (AMP)."

So it's not the outward makeover that really counts, and it's usually not what gets to me. What usually hits for me about the show is the way these women begin to believe in themselves again. I wonder about beauty and why it matters to women so much. I believe it resonates so deeply in our hearts because we were created to be the expression of God's beauty--His crown of creation. There is something built into our very nature that longs to express and display beauty (read "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge to get the full story). But the enemy of our souls wants nothing more than to squash every hint of self-confidence and belief in our beauty that he can. He doesn't want God's beauty being shown to a world that needs it so desperately.
Isn't it true? How many women are truly happy with the way they look? We all want to change something about ourselves. But if we really knew
how beautiful God thinks we are, I wonder what we would see when we looked in the mirror.

Ladies, you were fearfully and wonderfully made by the God of all creation who knew your name before the foundation of the world (Psalm 139:14). He delights in you the way a husband delights in His new bride. He can't get enough of you! You are His very special work of art, created in Christ Jesus unto good works (Ephesians 2:10). He rejoices over you with singing (Zephaniah 3:17)! Do you get it yet? He loves you SO much! You are His favorite!

I hope I encouraged someone today. Someone very wise once told me an analogy about beauty that has stuck with me, and I want to share with
you. He said something like this: "Looking at yourself and pointing out all the things that you don't like is like receiving a homemade birthday cake from a friend and telling them, 'Thanks, but I prefer vanilla cake to chocolate, blue sprinkles to green, and pink icing to yellow. I appreciate the gift, but you really could have done a better job.'" Whoa. Isn't that what we're saying to God? "God, you could have done better on me, and I'd like you to try again." Ouch. God created you with beauty to share with the world. He sees your heart, not your outward appearance. So trust the fact that He loves you and calls you beautiful. And celebrate the blue sprinkles!

Your (beautiful) sister, :)
Francesca

No comments: